Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mail From Muoi

Hi Ahmad,

I was on Palau Pinang between April 5 through May 2, 1979. Our boat hit the rock when it got close to Pinang and sank. We managed to swim toward the island. During the stay in Pinang, one young boy died the 3rd day on Pinang. He was having illness in his stomach. He made his journey to freeland but not made it out of Pinang. His body was carried over to another island aross Pinang and buried there. I stayed in the right hand side of the long house in the 2nd room. My family were starving because we have no money to buy any food from the small village. Once I stepped on a piece of broken glass and my right foot was bleeding. One of the resident of the village took care of me and wrapped up my wound-foot. Pinang is so beautiful. I still cannot find a place in America that is as beautiful as Pinang.

I am still having nightmare of the journey. In my dream, I was still in Vietnam and I lived on the street without food. I know it is the past that I cannot get over with. I know I will make a trip to Pulau Bidong, and hopefully, able to come to Pinang. By doing this, I hope it will close the chapter. I don't mean to forget about the place, but I want to face it again, that it is not that bad after all.

I felt happy and sad when I left Bidong. It was such a mixed feeling that is difficult to describe. Do you have picutres of Pinang, the long house, and the beach? If you do, can you post it on the site?

Muoi

No comments:

Post a Comment